Match Report: Edinburgh Capitals 4-5 Fife Flyers

It took a penalty shootout to separate Edinburgh Capitals and last night’s winners, the Fife Flyers at Murrayfield Ice Rink.

Fife won the opening face-off and netminder Carson Chubak faced an onslaught of rubber. Shayne Stockton opened the scoring within seven minutes with Jeff Lee doubling the lead on 11.

Moments later, the Caps pulled one back through Taylor Dickin. Then Trevor Gerling equalised with less than one minute of the first third left. Seconds later, Ned Lukacevic gave Edinburgh a 3-2 lead at the end of the opening 20.

180 seconds into the second period and Stockton levelled it up once again. It was another 23 minutes before RJay Berra netted a seventh goal of the contest and Capitals led again. However, the man of the match, Shayne Stockton equalised with less than 120 seconds to go.

In overtime, Flyers dominated proceedings. They had four chances to win it. Delahey, Dingle, Pacquet and Sachetti all had chances, but could not convert. Penalty shots beckoned. The visitors converted their three attempts while Caps made their first two.

It came down to Lukacevic v Brown in sudden death. The former Flyer went right, tried for the near post but Brown had already shut it down. The puck struck Brown’s body and he went to celebrate with the large travelling support.

Fife Flyers Coach, Todd Dutiaume, said: “This game meant a lot to them. Their season was on the line and they were pushing and pushing in the second and third periods.”

Those two goals at the end of the first we lost destroyed us. We have been in this position before and found it hard to come back in adversity, but I was proud of how we responded tonight. They stuck with [it] and kept pushing.”

Caps’ Coach, Riley Emmerson instructed disrupt the Fifers’ rhythm in this penalty-strewn affair. It worked in the main. It only took 10 minutes in this derby match for frustrations to boil over as Paquet and Lukacevic squared up. The defenceman dropped his gloves. Although the ex-Flyer was not keen. His enforcer, Kyle Flemington stepped in on his behalf.

The second period saw Justin Fox catch Gerling with a wayward stick. Kyle Bigos stepped into the fight but escaped the third man in penalty. That was not an end to the amateur pugilism as TJ Caig wanted some of the big defencemen as well. Not long later and Bigos took exception to a check from Kyle Haines and once again, Caig stepped in.

It was a vital couple of points for their Gardiner Conference aspirations. Dutiaume’s men lead by six points with five to play. Dundee Stars have seven matches left on the schedule. As for Emmerson’s squad, they are propping up the table. Although, they can have a say on who wins the northern division with performances like last night.

You can follow @MichaelWood_SJ on Twitter.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s